archive g2:20

capturing the grace of God in life and in truth

leading w/ love: 1.2

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Without Love Knowing It All Helps No One

The 2nd verse in 1 Corinthians 13 says:

"And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge...but have not love, I am nothing."

This verse points out a person that is intellectually and theologically gifted. Strauch adds "a walking, talking encyclopedia of knowledge." That's interesting because I think I've met a few of these types in my lifetime. And they're not much fun to hang out with when your watching Jeopardy! Unless you beat them on a question that's about hip-hop or the 80's?

To add more color to this person, Strauch points out that people like this are proud of their learning and speaking abilities. They tend to be puffed up with self-importance. And they makee sure those with lesser knowledge feel that (picture your index finger and thumb coming together slowly). And that attitude, is the very reason that the Corinth church had to be lovingly corrected by Paul (1 Cor. 8).

Here is a helpful equation that I'm seeing through this piece of scripture:

Knowledge - Love = Inflated Ego

And here's what an inflated ego leads to (Strauch):

Inflated Ego > Intellectual Snobbery > Attitude of Mockery towards others' > Making fun of others' view points > Spirit of Contempt to those with lesser knowledge > Demeaning the people who disagree.

And Paul says that all this leads to nothing without the presence of love. Paul simply says: I am nothing!

Strauch concludes, " A loveless prophet, a loveless scholar, or a loveless teacher is worthless to the discipling of God's people." He goes on by adding a testimony that highlights this problem in the church:

I know of a pastor who had a phenomenal knowledge of the Bible but who hurt many people with his doctrinal scrutiny and divided his own congregation repeatedly until there was no one left but himself. He had a big head but a little heart. His theology was as clear as ice but twice as cold. Such is the path of one who has knowledge without love.

My thoughts: This actually is really humbling because I confess that even though I may not be the most intelligent/intellectual person or "walking encyclopedia" - there are pockets of pride (or ego) in my heart that I think of myself as having better knowledge or understanding than someone else (wife, kids, dog). And I realize through this verse that these thoughts need to be bathed in repentance and in love. Smart people and dumb people are both fundamentally, sinners by nature. I would like to end with a quote by George Sweeting, who says it well, "Too often Christians are concerned about hidden truth, but indifferent about loving difficult people." I have to "Amen" that with my own confession to the Lord.

archived under ,

 

ccef

sovereign grace vimeo