archive g2:20

capturing the grace of God in life and in truth

teach them diligently: preface

Saturday, October 11, 2008

So many books...so little Scripture

That is a true statement to begin with. I would also add, so much knowledge, so much pride, so much ignorance...so little scripture.

In this preface, I'm reminded that there is a lot of "stuff" out there on parenting that I may be familiar with and may have some experience with... but what it boils down to is: Does my parenting reflect truly what God says?

As it states, there are resources that claim to biblical, but are probably mingled in with humanistic pop-psychology.It's true that "...today's Christian parenting resources fail to emphasize what is perhaps the most important aspect of true biblical parenting - how to relate the Bible to the disciplinary process in practical ways."

That's the crux of the matter: Is it Bible? Or is it not? I have to remember that God is concerned with my parenting and He has provided one of the greatest resources that I can ever use - His very Word. It is profitable to teach, rebuke, correct and instruct us in righteousness. And on top of that, by His strength - He puts it upon me to teach my children this very Word. So this is really a matter of obedience on my part...in fact this is what God's Word says I must do:

And these words which I commanded you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7

archived under

 

ccef

sovereign grace vimeo