verse to meditate on: romans 16:19
Monday, August 31, 2009
I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
Thoughts:
What's wonderful about this verse is that Paul rejoices over the obedience of his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. He just doesn't stay silent about the matter. Nor does he mention that this is what he would expect of them. He boldly rejoices over them knowing that their obedience has reached to all. Others are hearing of their obedience and probably encouraged by their example. That's a lesson to learn! Rejoice over obedience. As a discipler and as a parent I know that I need to do that more. How often I forget to rejoice when I hear of how a fellow brother and sister are walking in the truth? That is a must!
Another thing that's cool is that Paul still reminds them that he still desires them to be discerning between what is good and what is evil. He says be WISE in what is good and INNOCENT in what is evil. To be wise is to know and understand God's Word and then to act accordingly. Psalm 119:9-11 says: How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to your word. With all my hear I have sought You; do not let me wander from your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart that I may not sin against You. To be innocent from sinning against God has a similar relationship to being wise; treasure God's Word in your heart. When your'e filled with the richness of God's Word; sin becomes less precious and desirable.
Prayer:
Father help me to treasure your word today so that I might be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
Thoughts:
What's wonderful about this verse is that Paul rejoices over the obedience of his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. He just doesn't stay silent about the matter. Nor does he mention that this is what he would expect of them. He boldly rejoices over them knowing that their obedience has reached to all. Others are hearing of their obedience and probably encouraged by their example. That's a lesson to learn! Rejoice over obedience. As a discipler and as a parent I know that I need to do that more. How often I forget to rejoice when I hear of how a fellow brother and sister are walking in the truth? That is a must!
Another thing that's cool is that Paul still reminds them that he still desires them to be discerning between what is good and what is evil. He says be WISE in what is good and INNOCENT in what is evil. To be wise is to know and understand God's Word and then to act accordingly. Psalm 119:9-11 says: How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to your word. With all my hear I have sought You; do not let me wander from your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart that I may not sin against You. To be innocent from sinning against God has a similar relationship to being wise; treasure God's Word in your heart. When your'e filled with the richness of God's Word; sin becomes less precious and desirable.
Prayer:
Father help me to treasure your word today so that I might be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
archived under Words