archive g2:20

capturing the grace of God in life and in truth

lying vs. truthfullness: ephesians 4:25

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Put off falsehood and speak truthfully! Ephesians 4:25
 
This is what happens when I  don't speak truthfully:
 
Whenever I am dishonest or trim or shade the truth, I am loving myself more than God or others.
 
Trimming the truth is saying less than needs to be said.
 
Dishonesty occurs when we look out for ourselves first.
 
I want your respect or acceptance, so I trim the truth to hide my faults.
 
I want your trust and confidence so I am dishonest about my failings.
 
I find confrontation distasteful so I avoid issues that lead to conflict.
 
There are things I want from you, so I shade the details to my advantage.
 
I do not want the embarrassment of confessing wrong to you so I cast past events in a light that is favorable to me.
 
I do not want you to know that I failed you, so I concoct some acceptable excuse.
 
Truth is the casualty when I love myself more than I love you.
 
War of Words - Paul Tripp p. 231

archived under

 

ccef

sovereign grace vimeo